Every generation has one or more trends that take force and affect individuals all around the world. One of the most popular trends amongst teenagers of different ages today is getting different body modifications whether it is a tattoo or getting pierced. These piercings range from regular nose and ear piercings to even pierced lips, tongue, and eyebrows. Another trend that involves piercings is what is known as stretched earlobes wherein individuals stretch their earlobes and then fill it with piercings.
Once a body part is pierced it is fitted with an accessory that is used as beautification. These accessories are usually different types of alternative jewellery that are fitted with stones and are made of different metals. Since these articles of jewellery will be inserted in parts of the body that are cut, it is extremely important that the equipment being used to pierce as well as the accessories themselves are sterile and free from any infection.
Before you get a piercing therefore, it is extremely necessary for you to take a few steps and do some research. Listed below are a few things you should keep in mind-
- Seek a professional- Firstly and most importantly, one precaution you should definitely take is going to a professional for your piercing. The individual you go to should have some prior experience so that you know that the work done is clear and clean. Going to a professional reduces your chances of meeting with an accident or undergoing an uncomfortable experience.
- Know which materials are safe- from age old piercings, there has been some information that has been passed on with regard to which metals are safe to be used for piercings. The best metals are implantation steel, titanium, niobium, and gold that is at least 14K. The next level of metals that are good are acrylic, pyrex, plastic, and wood. The metals you should absolutely not use are sterling silver, copper, and nickel.
For earlobe stretching, you can buy ear gauges from reliable suppliers that are made of stainless steel, titanium, acrylic, and marble.
- Buy original, real articles of jewellery- Fake metals are often the biggest cause of infection in piercings. Irrespective of where the piercing is, it is important that it is a real, original article of jewellery
- Do not purchase or use used jewellery- Bear in mind that using someone else’s used jewellery in a newly pierced hole may cause infections. Therefore, always try to use new accessories. If you have to use used jewellery, ensure that it is sterilised first.
- Follow instructions and do your research- whether for a new piercing or for stretching your ear lobes, do not use random oils or lubricating solutions. It is best to ask a professional for advice on what is the best thing to be used. Additionally, you can also carry out your own research and watch Youtube videos or tutorials before applying anything. These videos will show you exactly how you should care for your piercing or stretching
- Speak to your piercer about potential health risks- if you go to an experienced piercer, you will be able to ask questions and get your doubts cleared. Depending on you as a person, the piercing may be more or less comfortable for you. If you have a low tolerance for pain or if you are more likely to panic in such situations, you may be in discomfort for several days or weeks after.
- Ensure that your piercer has sterilisation equipment at the location- before you agree to get pierced, first inquire whether the facility has a sterilisation equipment. If this is not present, you should seriously consider going to someone else.